Tuesday, February 19, 2013

SULAMITH WULFING


Throughout North America and Europe, there are thousands of people who, haveing seen her cards and posters in scattered gift shhops, bookstores or stationary counters, have become entranced by the work of Sulamith Wulfing. Yet virtually no one knows who she is, where she is from, when the paintings were done, nor, most importantly, why. Her style and subject matter are undeniably unique, and anyone who has sold her cards can attest to their popularity, yet she has had no recognition in the artistic world or press, no museum holds a Wulfing original, and distributors have never put much attention into advertising her works. In a culture that yearns more and more for the spiritual and tranquil, her peaceful visions have had to find their own way to her devoted admirers.


Third Eye


The First Butterfly








My drawings are a visual representation of my deepest feelings ~ pleasure,  fear, sorrow, happiness, humor. And, to people attuned to my compositions, the may well be mirrors for their own experiences.

It is because of this that I have left the explanation of the drawings completely to the view, so that they are not bound by my interpretation of what each picture should be.


For me it is not a matter of creating illustrations to fit nursery rhyme themes. My ideas come to me from many sources, and in such harmony with my personal experiences that I can turn them into these fairy compositions.


My Angels are my consolers, leaders, companions, guards. And dwarfs often show me the small ironies and other things to make me smile even in life's most awesome events.


Sulamith Wulfing






Intoduction adapted from Michael Folz
The Fantastic Art of Sulamith Wulfing
Edited by David Larkin
Published by Peacock Press/Bantam Book